APRA's 10,000 members across the nation have a lot of lost sleep to look forward to - the songwriting organisation has released the longlist for this year's Silver Scrolls awards and it's one of the toughest ones in recent years.
The top 20 was picked from a list of over 200 songs by a panel including a jury of 11 songwriters including Anji Sami (She’s So Rad/Sami Sisters), Buzz Moller (Voom), Chris van de Geer (Stellar, Bigpop Studios), Devin Abrams (Pacific Heights/Shapeshifter), Godfrey de Grut (Che Fu/The New Loungehead), Jane de Jong (Ruby Frost), Julia Deans, Hollie Fullbrook (Tiny Ruins), Phil Bell (DJ Sir-vere), Rob Ruha, Sandy Mill (SJD/The Bellbirds).
The list, included in full below, is ridiculous! Give 'em all a gold and walk out of here! At any rate, the list is a testament to a banner year in New Zealand songwriting. From Kings' smash hit 'Don't Worry 'Bout It', to Lorde's 'Greenlight' to Aldous Harding's haunting 'Horizon' to Lydia Cole's 'Sober', choosing one winner from the longlist is tantamount to asking a mother to name her favourite child. Good luck to you.
The 2017 Scrolls will be held in Dunedin Town Hall in Dunedin on Thursday 28th September.
- Close Your Eyes, by Bic Runga and Kody Nielson, (Bic Runga)
- Cold Steel, by Troy Kingi and Mara TK
- Don’t Worry ‘Bout It, by Kingdon Chapple-Wilson, (Kings)
- Green Light, by Ella Yelich-O’Connor, Jack Antonoff, and Joel Little, (Lorde)
- Hate Somebody by Nick Johnston, Philip Hadfield, Brent Harris, and Jonathan Lee (Cut Off Your Hands)
- Horizon, by Hannah Topp, (Aldous Harding)
- Hundred Waters, by Grayson Gilmour and Cory Champion, (Grayson Gilmour)
- If Only, by Te Karehana Toi, (Teeks)
- I Know Not Where I Stand, by Shayne P Carter
- Liability, by Ella Yelich-O’Connor and Jack Antonoff, (Lorde)
- Life of the Party, by Chelsea Jade Metcalf and Leroy James Clampitt, (Chelsea Jade)
- Little Did She Know, by INF aka Amon McGoram, SPYCC aka Daniel Latu, and SmokeyGotBeatz aka Isaiah Libeau, (SWIDT)
- Lucky Girl, by Amelia Murray and Gareth Thomas, (Fazerdaze)
- O Heathcote, by James Milne, (Lawrence Arabia)
- One and Only, by Brooke Singer, (French For Rabbits)
- Rainbow, by Louis Baker and Bradford Ellis, (Louis Baker)
- Richard, by Nadia Reid
- Sober, by Lydia Cole
- Sunday Best, by Seth Haapu
- Urutaa by Lewis de Jong, Henry de Jong, Ethan Trembath, (Alien Weaponry)